Translate

Monday 30 June 2014

Theme-a-licious June Update

Theme-a-licious is hosted by Heather of It's Geek to Me

Each month Heather thinks up a theme for us to stitch to, or in my case, a theme to somehow shoe-horn my existing stitching into, no matter how tenuous the link!

June Jolt
School's out for the summer! Let's work on things with sunshine in them or REALLY bright colours. Summer is here!


As soon as I saw that first sentence I thought Alice Cooper!  Actually my first thought was "no it's not, in England we don't break up until the third week in July" but then I thought Alice Cooper!  I found a great monochrome design of his face but it was for beading and didn't translate directly to stitching.  I'd have to rechart it to get the dimensions right, he came out very long and thin so I abandoned that idea.  I did consider buying this one from PixelPower but I'd left it rather late in the month.

So what did I stitch this month that could possibly fit into the theme?

These lovely Summery Joan Elliot butterflies:

 

These were stitched as the centre part of the new JE Faces SAL on FB

Fabric is Snapdragon by Crafty Kitten

The rest of my stitching consisted of an Autumn Fairy, some Hallowe'en Countdown pieces, three different Winter projects and the Bride of Frankenstein's Monster.
(Two Winter projects do feature B5200 which is Bright White...)

Today, however, I did start a piece that will come in for the end of term in July but I've started it in June so it totally counts.  Each year I have stitched an end of year sampler for the Large Boy's teacher.  I always try to get something suitable for the person, something they like or a topic they have covered that year.  This year was tricky, she is new to the school and is a brilliant teacher.  We've got on really well and have chatted about books alot.   She recognised the influence of Terry Pratchett in the last piece of written work the Large Boy did so I decided on a Fantasy Book theme for her:


What I was looking for was a small dragon on a pile of books but googling around didn't come up with anything.  Then I found a dragon reading a book on DeviantArt.  The dragon looked familiar, and lo and behold the stitcher revealed it was a Teresa Wentzler freebie, amended to be holding a book instead of an orb.  Futurecast was designed for stitchers to choose their own colour scheme and Teresa has given great instructions on how to do so.  She also has a Gallery of finished designs so you can use their schemes if you want.  The school colours are green and yellow, there was a lovely dragon there in those exact colours so that is the one I went with.  I won't be stitching the border because I want to add the teacher's name and the school's name and year.

Finally the Summer Postcard Blog Hop (which fits in nicely with the Theme) is now underway.  The second postcard went to Jocondine and her eponymous blog.  Follow the link to see her card, message and who sent it to her.  There is still time to join in with the Blog Hop, just click on the garden picture on the right hand side bar to find out more details.





12 comments:

Dani - tkdchick said...

Those butterflies are just so pretty!

Nice to see another TW in the works out there in blog land!

Thoeria said...

Love the dragon and butterflies! Can't wait to both pieces completed :)

Pull the other thread said...

Beautiful stitching on both JE piece. What a lovely end of year gift for a teacher.

Lili said...

Sweet butterflies!!
The dragon looks amazing!

Hugs,
Lili

TammyK said...

Great wips. I love Joan Elliot designs. Absolutely beautiful fabric choice.

Linda said...

Very colorful butterfly and great new start Jo.

Linda

geeky Heather said...

Those butterflies are very bright and summery! But that dragon...he is going top be amazing!!!

Christine said...

Winds me up to see all those "school's out" posts in June too! Not as much as seeing the "back to school" ones two days after they've broken up though...
Loving the dragon design!

Julie said...

What a great gift for the teacher, she'll love it. You always go that extra mile Jo to find something just perfect.

Susan said...

Love the SAL. You have really picked the perfect fabric. The dragon is cute already, looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

♥ Nia said...

Gorgeous colors on the butterflies :)

jocondine said...

Clever to get the help of a dragon and snapdragon for June Them-a-licious "really bright colors" !xxx